Tuesday, September 2, 2008

When plastic cups become the enemy

Sitting in my staff meeting today, one of my interns informed me that her sorority has an appointed leadership position they call the "Facebook Creeper." This young woman spends time each week cruising every sister's Facebook profile, looking for any picture that sheds a negative light on the sorority.

You know, like a sister vandalizing public property, snorting cocaine, showing her breasts at a street festival, or holding a Solo cup.

Yes, a Solo cup.

Seems that holding a blue or red Solo cup is now on the list of things that reflect negatively on the sorority. We all know what goes in Solo cups, right?

When I expressed disbelief, my other intern (from a completely different school) assured me that, indeed, their chapter had their charter threatened because there were Facebook pictures of sisters holding Solo cups.

Maybe it's just me, but perhaps we've gone a tiny bit too far. I could understand frowning upon a picture of a sister holding a bong. Pretty clear what that's used for. But, I buy Solo cups at my local grocery store. My son drinks milk and Crystal Light out of them.

I really hadn't realized that fraternity and sorority risk management had matured to the point of banning plastic cups. I sure hope those wiley Greeks don't figure out how to drink beer out of something else! What if they discover styrofoam? Or wait, maybe they'll wash out milk cartons! Someone should warn America's dairy farmers.

You don't fight drunk driving by banning cars. You don't prevent arson by banning matches. To successfully prevent abuse, you need to go after the behavior and the person's desire to abuse.

Not sure about the pink Solo cups that benefit breast cancer research (pictured) – but I guess they're banned, too.

Start hiding your ping pong balls. They're next.