Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Words that make you look dumb


Folk just can't spell.

Cruising Facebook this morning, I counted three wall postings offering "congradulations" on upcoming graduations. If I thought it was a deliberate play on words (you know, congratulations on your graduation: conGRADulations!) I would groan just a tiny bit less.

It's not. Folk just can't spell.

I've been reviewing intern applications this week, and let's face it, there are common misspellings and crappy words that just make a person look dumb. My top five:

5. "Irregardless" Not a word. "Regardless" is just fine.
4. "Alot" – I see this a lot.
3. "Amongst" – Bring it down a notch, Shakespeare. "Among" is fine.
2. "You're" and "Your," used interchangeably.
1. "There," "Their" and "They're," used interchangeably.

Irregardless, amongst my Facebook peeps, their are alot of friends graduating, and its you're special day. So, congradulations!