Thursday, April 24, 2008

I know four one-legged men


That's right, four.

Ron, Chad, Dan, and Seamus. I honestly don't know what happened to the legs of Dan, Ron and Seamus. Chad had a cancer of some sort which claimed his as an adult.

All four of these one-legged dudes rock. Chad runs marathons. Ron was recently the president of a national higher ed organization. Dan just moved to L.A. to pursue his dream of being a screenwriter. Seamus is a student and a fraternity man at a school in New Jersey.

Seamus recently came to a program I did at his school. I had met him before. He had just come from an intramural soccer game or something, and he was sweaty and stinky. "Do you mind if I take this damn thing off?" he asked, tossing his prosthesis to the floor.

"No, go for it," I said.

"I didn't want to freak you out," he said.

"Don't worry. I know a lot of one-legged men."

"Really?" he asked.

"Yes, but I only know one Seamus." He liked that.

I don't know any one-legged women.

I know a guy with no legs – Matt. He's a speaker with another agency. Pretty remarkable guy. He does several programs (read about them here), but I think it's especially cool that he does a program called "Dating for the Physically Challenged." Dating pretty much sucks no matter who you are, and I'm sure it's no picnic for a guy with no legs. But, I'm thinking Matt does pretty well. He's cool.

Chad does programs for my company. Read about him here. He does an orientation program called "Getting Off on the Right Foot, Even If You Don't Have One," which makes me laugh. Chad is married, has two beautiful kids, appeared on the show Survivor, and is a spokesman of some sort for the Challenged Athletes Foundation. Oh yeah, and he's hot. Totally hot. Having one leg hasn't slowed him down even a tiny bit.

Sitting here, I'm trying to remember which leg is missing for each guy. I can't remember. For Seamus, it's the left for sure. For Chad, I think it's the right. Hmm...

Chad has this totally awesome artificial sports leg that is very high tech, and he has these amazing athletic shoes that fit right over the foot of it. Pretty fashionable, too. I think that other one-legged guys must be pretty jealous of Chad's cool leg. Chad doesn't mind when I stare at his cool leg because he thinks it's pretty cool, too.

I've always had a crush on Dan. Pretty much everyone who's ever met Dan has a crush on him. He's charming, sweet, and handsome as hell. I even think his occasional slight limp makes him sexier. Chicks dig Dan, big time. Too bad, though. Dan bats left.

So does Ron.

I know two one-legged gay men. That's fun.

Chad and Seamus love the ladies.

As far as I know, none of these men lost their leg in combat. But, there will be a lot of one-legged men on campuses soon. I heard yesterday that more than 30,000 men and women serving us in Iraq and Afganistan have been injured. We're going to be seeing a lot of folks living with disabilities – young people – very soon on our streets, in our grocery stores, and even on the dating circuit.

Pretty soon, knowing four one-legged men won't be remarkable at all.

That would have been a good paragraph to end on. End with a moral to the story. But, I just wanted to write about one-legged men today.

I know four, did I mention?