Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Behind the scenes at Studio 08


Day Two at the convention. The Pepsi Center is pretty chaotic, but the mood is very festive.

As I mentioned before, I'm working in a little TV studio inside the center called "Studio 08," where we do live interview feeds with news stations all around the country. We are away from the floor, so I don't get to see much of the activity there – you can get that from CNN, I guess. Sadly, I didn't get to see Michelle Obama's speech or Ted Kennedy's emotional arrival, but I could hear the cheering crowds through the wall! We have a TV with a direct feed to the stage in our area, so we watch it out of the corner of our eye with the closed captions on.

It's been a constant parade of political stars through our studio. Got to hang out a bit with Al Franken, the former Saturday Night Live writer and player (remember Stuart Smalley?) who is now running as a Democrat for a Senate seat in Minnesota. I always thought that perhaps Franken was one of those gay men who married a woman (he just struck me that way). Boy, was I wrong about that. Al sat in that makeup chair completely enthralled by the young women doing his makeup. It was hysterical. At one point, one of the makeup women asked if he had ever had his makeup done before. The camera man and I broke out laughing, and Al didn't miss a beat. "Just in a high school play a long time ago," he said.

God, we couldn't stop laughing. When we told the makeup woman later who he was, she was embarrassed. But, I think that's why he enjoyed her so much. For about 10 minutes, she just sat there running her fingers through his hair. He practically purred ... no joke. If you live in Minnesota, vote for the guy. He's a class act. I'm pissed that my picture with him turned out blurry. Bart can operate a million dollar TV camera, but a Canon SD630 Sure Shot confuses him. Ironic.

All the politicians have been amazingly kind and friendly. West Virginia Governor Jim Manchin was over-the-top nice. Such a gentleman. Kentucky's Attorney General, Jack Conway, was another favorite. A beautiful man, and just as real and friendly as could be. The guy is made for television – looks like a soap star. He went to Emory for undergrad and George Washington for law school, and he says that he's teased constantly in his home state for not having gone to the University of Kentucky. "Oh well, guess I'll never be governor," he deadpanned. Funny, funny guy.

Had a chat with Ted Strickland, the governor of Ohio. He did three live shots, one after the other, for TV stations in Toledo, Columbus and Stuebenville (wherever the hell that is). Total pro. Afterwards, he and I shared a laugh. I told him that while he was on the air, I had texted my fraternity brother Dwayne that I was 6 feet away from him and that Dwayne said he had seen the governor and his wife shopping at Macy's the week before. So, Governor Strickland said, "Let's get a picture for Dwayne because I think I bought this tie that afternoon." So, Dwayne, this pic is for you. I asked him if he thinks Ohio is going red or blue, and he looked at me and with total honesty said, "I'm not going to lie to you. I have no idea. People of Ohio are pretty thoughtful about their votes, so I think it will go to whomever works the hardest."

I made a point to talk to as many delegates as possible. These folks are extremely middle-class people, by and large. Being at this convention is a huge event in their lives. So, when you see them dancing on the big screens, looking goofy, I assure you that it's genuine. Some are local politicians, but many are just nice union members or others who ran from the floor of their state conventions and got picked.

The ones with the stupid hats are the ones who go every four years. They're kind of full of crap. The ones dressed to the hilt and bubbling with excitement are the rookies. They are my favorites. They are so excited to chat with anyone who lives in Denver.

Some folks dress for attention. Note the photo of the weird-looking superhero. I think he was there drawing attention to some cause, but I have no idea what. I can't resist a man in Lycra. I asked him if he wouldn't mind loaning the suit to my boyfriend, Anderson Cooper, after he was done with it, and he laughed. Told me the suit was on loan from Wolf Blitzer.

The convention program didn't feel very organized for its first day, I have to say. I noticed this morning, online, that many pundits felt the same way. There was no flow. I love Michelle Obama, and I think it's a shame that many people on the East Coast probably went to bed, bored out of their minds, before she ever came to the stage. People at the convention are over the moon about Michelle, I have to tell you.

The delegates attending this convention are the most diverse crowd I have EVER seen. But, you can really tell how much this means to the Black people who are here. They are so full of pride. I saw Black men and women in absolute tears after Michelle's speech. One man told me that it wasn't Michelle – it was her mother's pride that affected him the most. There is a realization that this generation of Black adults is realizing the fruits of their parents' struggles in the 60s. No one can believe we are about to nominate a Black man for president.

But, before we get there, today is Hillary day. I still feel a little put off by her need to grab the spotlight, but a lot of the delegates here love her with a passion. So, there should be a lot of excitement.

We're supposed to have Jimmy Carter and Al Gore in the studio tonight. It's a little weird to believe that I will likely shake hands with two Nobel Peace Prize winners tonight. I'm a very lucky guy.