Friday, August 22, 2008

It's all just part of a twisted plan to get Gavin Newsom's phone number


Starting Sunday, I'll be working at the Democratic National Convention at the Pepsi Center in Denver. A friend of mine sets up television broadcast crews for big events, and she hired me to be a production assistant for five days. Yes, I'll be fetching coffee. But hey, I'm being paid to hang out on the floor of the convention from 1 pm to midnight, Sunday through Thursday, and that's sort of cool. She also made sure I'll be on the field at Invesco on Thursday when Obama makes his big nomination acceptance speech.

Hopefully, some interesting adventures await between fetching sandwiches and moving bundles of cable. If nothing else, I get a really groovy media credential to hang around my neck which gets me pretty wide access to the facility.

Michelle Obama and I are totally going to be best friends by the end of this. Or, maybe I'll get to yell something like, "Yo, Pelosi! Move it, hon. You're blocking the shot here!" If I don't get thrown out of the place by Tuesday, it will be a miracle.

So, we will be taking a break from student leadership entries for a week so I can share some adventures from the convention. Watch for them starting Monday morning, if you're interested. And, if not, I'll be back with regular postings around Labor Day.

The picture here is of the stage at the Pepsi Center. It was just released this morning by the Denver Post. I'm expecting Howie Mandel and a bunch of starving models to emerge from it at any moment.