Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Is it OK to say "Merry Christmas?"


I celebrate Christmas even though I am not a Christian. When people talk about the "reason for the season," I assume they are talking about the open bar at the company holiday party.

But, I get into the Christmas trees (mine's 9-foot, thank you very much), the green and the red, the lights on the house, and the gift giving. Some Christians get excited about their religion kicking every other religion's ass and they get a little high and mighty this time of year. I'm a Christmas junkie, but I just like that people are nicer to each other and there's a pleasant distraction from the regular crap that taxes my mind. Oh, and I really like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Like, a lot.

Today, I was writing an email to my speakers team, and I wrote "Merry Christmas" at the end. Before I hit send, I had a typical white, liberal reaction: "Oh wait, I can't say Merry Christmas because it might offend someone."

I went ahead and did it anyway. Earlier in the month, I signed off with "Happy Hannukah" in consideration of our Jewish team members, and no one raised a fuss. So happens, it's time for my holiday, so I wished everyone a "Merry Christmas." Hopefully, no one will get bent out of shape.

This issue always gets a lot of press this time of the year. Wal-Mart made a big stink last year by "bringing back Christmas" in its store decorations. Campuses ban Christmas trees in public spaces. Some county gets in trouble for a nativity scene at the courthouse. Good old Mike Huckabee is reminding everyone about the birth of Jesus in his Iowa campaign ads. Can't wait for his ads celebrating MLK Day in January. Those should be cool.

If anyone would like to wish me a Blessed Ramadan when that time comes, I'll take it. I'll take all the happy wishes I can get. Let's celebrate everything. I'll wish you a "Happy Whatever I'm Celebrating" and you can wish me a "Blessed Whatever You're Celebrating." And, we'll all be a little better for it.