Sunday, September 6, 2009

Dogs have bellybuttons


I have a 6-year-old son. Tim is at the age where the questions come non-stop, and usually, I can handle them. When I don't know an answer, I fake it admirably. However, this week he stumped me. "Do dogs have bellybuttons?" he asked.

Hmm... Dogs are mammals, and I've always assumed that all mammals had belly buttons. But, to save my life, I've never noticed a belly button on any of my dogs. I grabbed my terrier, flipped him over, and gave a good look. Dewey (pictured) enjoyed the attention, but I sure as hell didn't see a belly button on him.

I texted Cha Cha, which is what I do whenever I don't know the answer to a question (if you've never done it, text a question to 242242, and you'll be amazed). Here's what I got back:

"Although you may not see it, it's there. Dogs, like most other mammals, do indeed have bellybuttons or navels."

Well, I'll be damned.

These random events in my life are terrific fodder for blog ideas, it got me to thinking about all the "dog's bellybuttons" that help our organizations exist. You don't always see them, and they don't demand much attention, but they are there. The administrative assistant in the student activities office, the guy who sets up our A/V equipment at events, the advisor who always comes to events a few minutes early to help set up, the person at our national headquarters who processes all those initiation cards, the guy who mops up the locker room after we're done destroying the place.

These people frequently escape notice, but they play a big role. As a student leader, you should get in the habit now of reaching out to your dog's bellybuttons and saying "thanks." I'm big on saying "thanks" to the behind the scenes heroes – my mail carrier, the lady who serves my coffee in the morning, our bizarre UPS delivery guy, the secretaries at my kids' schools. It makes the world a better, friendlier place, and occasionally, these folks do something a little extra for you that makes a huge difference.

What are you or your organization doing to thanks the folks who play an important role and who get little or no recognition?