Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Correction regarding HAZE

Hey readers. Quick correction on the HAZE posting that precedes this one. The film was not funded by the Gordie Foundation directly. It was produced with private funding. Not sure all the legal and technical details, but the Foundation asked me to correct that part of my posting. I guess it's correct to say that the Foundation is involved in promoting the film, etc.

Also, the Foundation wanted people to know that there are lots of folks in the film who speak up for the good things that fraternities and sororities are doing in the fight against hazing. They understand that this is not reflected much in the trailer, but they feel that the film itself offers up a very fair opportunity for all sides to be heard.

I reiterated to them that I believe the film will generate a lot of controversy. Some people will support its message, and some will feel attacked. That's unavoidable. I'll reserve my judgment on the film until I've seen the whole thing. But, it is my feeling (I say again) that anything that gets us, as a Greek community, focused on ending harmful behavior surrounding alcohol abuse and hazing is worth any controversy we have to face. That's why I agreed to participate and be interviewed for the production.

By writing about the film in this blog, and by many of you sharing the posting around, I hope that we can talk about the film and the issues it presents in a constructive way.