Friday, May 9, 2008

Anti-Greek Week, Pt. 2


I got an email today from a young man who is a member of Theta Chi at Purdue. He read my "Anti-Greek Week" posting this week, and he wanted me to know that in spite of the negative press this week of the drug-dealing Theta Chi's at San Diego State University, he is proud to be a member of his fraternity. He also wanted me to know that his chapter was a very good chapter that was ashamed of the "brothers" who earned national headlines this week.

So, let me go on record... we all have some shitty chapters.

This week, it was Theta Chi and Pi Kappa Alpha's turns to get a black eye. Next week, it will be someone else. A month from now, it will be my fraternity. No one group corners the market on dumb asses.

Theta Chi is an outstanding national fraternity, Kenny. (Thanks for reading)

Again, my point... We need to be more aggressive in weeding out the losers among our members. We can't wait for the DEA, local law enforcement, and the coroner to do it for us.

Unfortunately, I am consistently disappointed by the leadership of most national fraternities who would rather play the odds that troubled chapters will avoid deaths, arrests, and scandal than confront the abuses that exist.

A national fraternity is more likely to close a chapter for dwindling numbers or mounting debt than for hazing, drugs, or sexual misconduct.

A national fraternity officer emailed me this week after my post and said, "We are not in the business of closing chapters, we're in the business of opening chapters."

I'm not advocating we throw the baby out with the bathwater. But, I'm kind of big on throwing out the bathwater instead of continuing to sit in it.