Friday, May 9, 2008

Let them know you got the message


Have you ever written a message to people that you thought was interesting or important, and then you get absolutely no feedback? You have no idea if people read your email, got your voice message, or received the card you sent?

A perfectly good idea or suggestion dies a quiet, unacknowledged death.

This is something that happens to me almost every day. Managing a team of 35 speakers and a staff of 7, I often throw out something and it falls completely dead. Or, so I think. I have no way to know, because people don't acknowledge most of the communication that they receive these days.

I suppose it would be a lot of work to acknowledge everything, but I sure like it when someone sends a message that says something like, "Thanks for that info!" or "That's cool, thanks!" It just lets me know that my effort was worthwhile. It tells me that I was heard, and I like that feeling.

When your advisor or one of your officers/members sends out something they thought would be interesting or helpful to you, give them a quick reply. It doesn't take a lot of time, and it makes them feel appreciated. You don't have to write a paragraph response to everything. But a quick "thanks" let's them know they were heard.

Of course, some people send out way too much email, and it would be impossible and massively time consuming to acknowledge everything they send. One of my speakers sends out a lot of info, and I'll admit that I haven't been great about acknowledging every one of her emails.

When this happens, encourage the person to start a blog. It's a great place to dump lots of random knowledge without bugging people. Then, you can watch that counter on your blog and get a measure of satisfaction that someone is reading.

Look, I'm about to hit 12,000. How cool is that?