Thursday, August 9, 2007

Hot day, warm welcome



Today, I'm sitting in an outdoor cafe at the Arizona Biltmore and Spa in Phoenix. Phenomenally beautiful place, I have to say. Fountains, flowers, palm trees. Impeccable landscaping. A big fat chair with a cushion I'm wish I could afford in my own home.

But, of course, I'm here in August. I'm sitting in a long-sleeved shirt and dress pants on a day predicted to hit 110, and sweating my ass off.

Fortunately, I'm here for the Sigma Alpha Mu Fraternity convention, and coming here is always like reuniting with family. So many fantastic alumni in this organization. Within moments of arrival, the "old guys" were asking me about the family and sharing stories. The Sammies warm my heart.

I swear ... a real life roadrunner just ran by on the lawn. Even in 110 degree heat, Arizona rocks.