Friday, September 28, 2007

What's on your agenda?


Each Friday, I put together the agenda for my company staff meeting the following Tuesday. It's not my favorite task. Sitting there, trying to think of discussion items requires a bit more brain power than I have most Friday afternoons.

The agenda I send out for my staff meetings is part worksheet. A staff member is supposed to come to the meeting with their agenda planned. There is a place to list out "My Priorities This Week," "Things I Need to Update Everyone On," "How Others Can Help Me," and "Days Out I Have Coming Up." I list any new business items that we need to discuss as a group (this is usually the hardest part for me to prepare). I also list our monthly sales and project goals. Finally, there is a section on the second page where people can write out the "Action Items" they get assigned during the meeting. We say "Pow!" as a little joke whenever someone gets assigned an action item so that people are forced to write the action item down.

As a student organization leader, what does your meeting agenda say about you? Does it say, "We're doing the same boring crap meeting after meeting?" Or, does it say, "This leader is taking time to move our organization forward?" Do you even have an agenda?

I think that having a thoughtful agenda reflects that, indeed, there is a need and purpose for this meeting and that you are helping to shape and guide the vision for your organization. It helps to set an expectation for preparation for others who attend your meetings, and it keeps your group on track for that hour (or so) that you meet.

This weekend, take some time, and work on a printed out agenda for your next meeting. Email it to your members at least 24 hours prior to your gathering. This is one of those efficiency ideas that might take a little while to catch on, but if it helps you get organized for your meetings, then it has an immediate benefit.