Monday, February 18, 2008

Blogging from NACA, Day Three


OK, I know you're dying to hear about Lance Bass at NACA. But first...

• Kelly and Becca did great at their showcase. They were funny and touching, and I think we'll have some interest tonight in the exhibit hall. You go, girls!

• Lance Bass. Well, I can report that he seems very sweet, very normal, and a little dorky. Not even a little bit hot, I have to report. (That picture to the right was not taken here.) Several people were commenting afterwards (not me, heavens no) that he's got quite a bit more "junk in the trunk" than they were expecting, even with baggy jeans on. People can be so cruel! But, guess when you're pushing 30 and not doing high energy dance videos anymore, you start having the same body as everyone else. I have to grade him pretty low on the content of his speech – I don't think he really thought about what he was going to say before he walked to the mic because it was a disorganized mess. No highly redeeming message, and no dish about Justin. He did pretty clearly state that all the other members of N*Sync were patiently waiting to do another album until Justin finally told them all that he "wasn't feeling it." I have to say that I was expecting a few interesting inside stories, but there weren't any. Did enjoy the story about how he got an anal probe during cosmonaut training – and when it made him cry, they said, "Well, now we know you're not gay!" Stupid Russians! Oh well, I wish him well, but not sure if Lance's performance is going to get many of those $25,000 bookings. I'll let you know what kind of co-op buying action he gets.

• The crowd went nuts for an act called "Black Violin." Basically two big Black dudes playing violin while a hip-hop DJ is spinning in the background. I didn't get it, but the students loved it.

• Funny thing from last night. Mentalist Craig Karges did his showcase. Did a ton of mind reading which had the crowd gasping, "How did he do that?" Called random people out of the audience and knew their birthdays, their phone numbers, and more. Pretty cool stuff. Then, as he's leaving the stage, he says, "Come see me in booth 503, or maybe it's 508." The dude can read minds, but isn't sure of his booth number? That cracked me up.

• An observation. An artist can be up talking, reciting a poem, telling a joke, playing a beautiful song, and students who are talking at normal voice volume in the audience. When did this sort of behavior become OK? I finally had to turn around and tell these women behind me to pipe down! The performers pay thousands of dollars for a 15 minute shot on the stage, and these kids can't shut up. Ugh, pisses me off.

• I'm looking forward to seeing Finesse Mitchell tonight in his showcase. He was so funny in his three seasons on Saturday Night Live, even though none of the students seem to know who he is. Mitch Fatel and the drag troupe, Kinsey Sicks, are tonight also. Should be a fun night of shows.