Monday, February 4, 2008

Thanks for getting up on a Saturday morning


I need to vent. For the last four weeks, I've spent my Saturdays in various corners of the U.S. at day long leadership conferences or retreats.

Inevitably, the hard working professionals (who have busted their asses preparing for these days of leadership training) welcome their students at 10 a.m. with the words, "Thanks for getting up on a Saturday morning. I really appreciate it. I know it's asking a lot."

No, it's not asking a lot. Not really.

We need to stop perpetuating a norm that we know is counterproductive. When did sleeping until noon become an inalienable right for college students? Why do we apologize to students for asking them to wake up at a reasonable time for an activity that is for THEIR benefit?

There are many victims in this world. An organization officer waking up at 9 a.m. is not one of them.

They sure aren't apologizing for staying up until 2 a.m. the night before. Just once, I'd love to hear a student say, "No, dear advisor, please accept my apology for showing up with bloodshot eyes and ratty hair to the leadership conference you've worked so hard planning all month. I really felt the need to get trashed last night, and I'm dragging ass this morning. I know that doesn't make you feel very appreciated. I'd like to thank you for giving up your Saturday for our benefit when I know you aren't paid anything extra for doing it."

Wouldn't that be nice?

If we were starting these conferences at 6:00 in the morning, then I'd understand the need to congratulate people on getting up, dressing nicely, and being awake and alert. That's early for anyone. But 10 a.m.? C'mon, people. If we're supposed to be preparing these young men and women for the real world, shouldn't convening for a 10 a.m. meeting be a reasonable expectation? Hey, I don't love early Saturday morning commitments, but when I have one, I take it easy the night before and make sure I'm awake and prepared the next morning. It's a mark of maturity that we need to start expecting from our students.

Do ministers apologize to their congregations for getting up on Sunday morning? Do professors apologize for their early morning classes? Does the foreman at the factory apologize to his workers and pass out donuts asking for forgiveness? No, no, and definitely, no.

Students don't apologize when they call us at 11 p.m. with a crisis, do they? They don't bat an eye to schedule one of their meetings at 9 p.m. when we want to be home, in bed, watching The Sarah Conner Chronicles (my favorite new show, by the way). So, why are we apologizing to them for asking them to be awake when Starbucks has been open for FIVE HOURS?

OK, rant over. But, I'm taking this Saturday off to sleep in.