Friday, February 22, 2008

The "No Information" Desk


Have you ever noticed that the staff at the information desk in your student center never have an answer to the simplest question? Every student center or student union in the country has an "information desk" staffed by bored students. And, inevitably, the students working there are completely clueless. About everything. Except their iPods.

Maybe this is a harsh judgment. But, as a person who is frequently lost on America's college campuses, I think I have a unique and authoritative perspective on this phenomenon.

This afternoon, I arrived at Mississippi State University in Starkville. It's a lovely place with friendly people. I find my way to their beautiful, brand new Colvard Student Union. I am almost to my destination: the office of my good friend, Heidie Lindsey, in room 314. I enter the building, wind my way past the food court, and see the information desk where a young man sits, earphones in, reading a book.

"Excuse me," I begin, trying desperately to get his attention. "I need to find Room 314. Are we on the first or second floor right now?"

This qualifies as information, right?

"Huh?"

"What floor are we on right now? The first or the second?"

"I don't know. We're on the main floor," he says. Annoyed that I've interrupted Kanye. At this point, I'm questioning the wisdom of the legislators who voted to expand federal work study funds.

"Well, if you were me," I said, "would you walk up those stairs one level or two to find the student affairs office?"

"Student Affairs?" he asks. Again, with the look.

"Um, Greek Life, Programming Board, student organizations?" I beg.

"Do you mean Student Involvement?"

"Yeah, Student Involvement."

"It's upstairs."

I have to tell you, this is typical. A week or so ago, I walked into the Student Center at St. Cloud State University, and asked the friendly young woman at info desk where I should go for the student leadership conference. She had no idea. It was on a floor above them.

How funny that the absolute last place you should go for answers at any college or university is the information desk in the student center. I guess they do other things: sell tickets, process paperwork, collect parking tickets, pass out cue sticks for the pool tables. I'm not entirely sure.

But we certainly need a better name than "Information Desk."

How about "Random Desk." They fulfill random needs and requests, and give you random looks when you ask questions. I like that. Make the change.